Sunday, April 19, 2015

Black Comedy, Why?

Melissa P. Brown                               Black Comedy, Why?

4/19/15

            Wow what a shocking turn from the event of Arnold’s first ball game to but a wonderful and mature ending. The Absolutely True Diary of an American Indian, displays its biggest strength, which is using its simply language to give Arnold a sense of humor and realistic positivity even in the dark parts of his life, more then ever then in these final chapters. An example include chapter “Red versus White.”  “Red versus White” starts off with Arnold describing how wonderful and “tolerant” his grandmother is but only to confess to the reader that a drunk driver had struck and killed her. Arnold’s dialogue describes his thoughts on his grandmother death using black comedy. The next two characters, involving the death of Eugene and his sister, work out in a similar fashion but less and less so by the end of the last of these chapter. I begin to wonder why the novel uses its black comedy to describe such heart braking moments, moments that affect the character so deeply. Direct examples include Arnold’s comics on page 170 and 171. Not all of the dialogue uses it but the black comedy is still there. But looking back I realized Arnold’s black comedy was Arnold trying to keep his rational mind but also bring himself comfort in these situations.
1.     Do you think the black comedy was appropriately used and used well?
2.     Do you think the way Arnold thinks in these situations? Would you have thought the same?

3.     What was your favorite moment in the book that used black comedy and did it well?

4 comments:

  1. I think that the dark humor that Alexie employs in the book represents both his and Arnold's way of dealing with tragedy. If sadness can become a comic, a book, or at very least an ironic, darkly humorous memory, it is easier for one to disassociate with it. In the end, i think it saved him. Had Arnold fallen to pieces after the first death in the story, he would have been obliterated by the time his sister passed. I can't say that i react the same way to tragedy that Arnold/Alexie do. I find stoicism much more therapeutic than humor. Laughing can quickly get out of hand and roll right in to weeping. This our protagonist knows all too well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree i think that it's Arnold's coping mechanism, throughout the book he utilizes it when ever he is uncomfortable or sad, so of course he would use it at his grandmother's death. I think it was used well because it shows how Arnold was hurt and also offered a good juxtaposition of coping, him and his humor his dad and his drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black comedy was appropriately written in this book; Arnold presented his situation with humor. It was a way of adapting and adjusting to the horrible life of reservation inhabitants. Without humor, there would be no hope. There would be no spunk and defiance within the despair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think his sense of humor is very fitting with the way the novel is told. I feel like some it comes out of bitterness and maybe some grudges. Also, one of me easiest ways of getting through a very tough time is through laughing about it. Even if it is hysterically after his sister died in the end.
    I probably would not have thought in the same way junior did, because I didn’t have those experiences. I can understand him, and try to sympathize, but I don’t think I could think the same if I were in his situations.

    ReplyDelete