Certainly in Kate Chopin’s The Awakening we see a repeat of themes and desires that go against
the flow of its time’s ideals. Like The
Picture of Dorian Gray, this book was published toward the near-end of the
Victorian Era. As you may remember from my group’s presentation, the Victorian
Era was a time defined by the general public only caring about reputation and
showing a respectable face to the public, while simply attempting to “hide”
their dark desires.
I started reading this without checking out any synopses
beforehand, so for the first maybe two or three chapters nothing registered as
particularly noteworthy. The plot seemed to kick off about the third chapter
when we learn about Edna Pontellier’s apparent habitual inattention to her
children. Her husband, the successful and widely adored Leonce Pontellier,
pointed out that one of their sons was in bed with a high fever. After checking
on him, she exits the house and sits on the porch then bawls her eyes out. Her
feelings were described with the following passage.
“An indescribable
oppression, which seemed to generate in some unfamiliar part of her
consciousness, filled her whole being with a vague anguish. It was like a shadow, like a mist
passing across her soul's summer day. It was strange and unfamiliar; it was a
mood.”
From this point we easily begin to infer that Edna is quite
unsatisfied with her life, though she herself isn't absolutely sure of why yet.
We see the differences between her and the ideal female by comparing her to her
friend Adele, who adores her husband of seven years and her three children.
These differences bother Leonce, as pretty much like everyone in the Victorian
era, he’s greatly concerned with social appearances.
-George
Do you consider Edna an enjoyable character despite her “neglectfulness”?
Why or why not?
How big of a deal would Edna’s actions be in this day and
age?
Ultimately speaking, can we(or rather should we) greatly
criticize Edna for acting upon her passions?
I do not think any of us should criticize Edna for her actions. Yes, she did not perform well as a mother or a wife, but she did not want to be in the position she was in. She was forced by society's norms to live a life she was not happy with. Outside influences created her life, and she decided to take a hold of the situation by stopping her own life. She was depressed, anguished by years of regret, and that made her act in the way she did. I cannot fully blame her, as a result. In a way, I pity her.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I do not agree with some of Edna's decisions, I still think that she is an engaging character. She is stuck in a life that she does not want to be in, and feels very little connection to her husband or children. I too pity that she does not find joy in the life she has, but I cannot say that I can completely forgive her for neglecting her children. True, Mr. Pontellier could just as well take care of the children (he certainly seems to have more affection for them), but I still feel that she shouldn't completely neglect them as she does.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to what is already stated above my post, I also do not agree with some of her decisions but, I do feel she was an entertaining character. I also feel she did not perform well as a mother or wife when it came to loving her children and husband during this time period. I feel she was stuck in a marriage and that way of of life as a mother and wife because she was trying to follow the social norms of society. On page 13, it points to some of her issues,
ReplyDelete"Mrs.Pontellier was not a women given to confidences, a characteristic hitherto contrary to her nature. Even as a child she had lived her own small life all within herself. At a very early period she had apprehended instinctively the dual life--that outward existence which conforms, the inward life which questions".
Altogether stated that she had low confidence, that played opposite to her opposite nature. She was even a loner as a child. It also stated how she basically learned to balance two different lives with her outward appearance which followed the rules and norms of society and her inward life which did the opposite.
Sebastian😁
Delete